Some residents have reported seeing coyotes in and around our community. Recently a coyote killed a resident’s dog.
Please follow these few simple rules to ensure that coyotes do not become permanent neighbors:
- Report sightings to local animal control, especially if the animal isn’t easily intimidated by loud noise or bright light or if you see the animal during daylight hours.
- Do not leave trash bins on the street or set food out. Secure lids on trash and recycling bins.
- Avoid bird feeders. The aroma attracts scavengers even though they can’t reach the nuts and seeds.
- Don’t put meat scraps in compost heaps.
- Don’t let cats and dogs outside unattended, especially at night.
- Walk your dog on a short leash, at your side, not behind you, at all times. If you encounter a coyote, pick up the dog and walk away.
- Carry a flashlight, air horn or pepper spray when walking. If caught unprepared, shout and throw small objects.